Thursday, June 20, 2013

My Life As It Were

In a sigh of relief and also, just for the sake of sighing, I have reached the end of this admissions period. And survey says: I did not get in. But I MADE A WAIT LIST! That wait list gave me a little glimmer of hope that I was all but lacking for the longest time. My rejection letter said the only reason I didn't get in was because the program filled up! How good does that make me feel, you ask? It makes me feel freaking FANTASTIC! Fortunately, I'm able to "roll over" my application there (Eastern Michigan) for the winter semester. I have already done so, and plan to send in a few more letters of recommendation, as well as a new and completely improved personal statement, full of emotion and narrative and power.

I figured I might as well apply to a couple more schools for the winter semester, just to open my odds again. There aren't many schools that accept winter admission, but I chose Baylor in Texas and Appalachian State in North Carolina. My friend Wes is going to Baylor for grad school, and he's really smart so I'm afraid it's one of  those schools in which you have to be extremely above the curve to get in. I'm trying to get ahold of him to ask since I'm not familiar with their reputation, but he's one of those people who are bad at communication. But Wes is more!

In lieu of grad school for this semester, I'm looking for a job more in my field. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and the people I work with, but "division secretary" is not my dream job. I've been a secretary for 5 years and I'm ready for a challenge. My friend Megan, who graduated from the same program as me at Wooster, just got a job as a classroom behavior therapist at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism. Here's the article she linked me to that tells all about it. Basically, this job requires a bachelor's degree in any field pertaining to psychology or one of multiple therapies (speech therapy being my forte). With a bachelor's in speech therapy, there are basically no jobs available in the field, so I was elated when I found this one. It's also the only job like it in the area. It pays a great salary, which is perfect for paying my student loans (that starts next month, eek!!!), and it will give me great field experience which grad schools absolutely love. Thankfully there was a brand new job posting on the website for this position. I quickly applied to it and am patiently* awaiting their correspondence.

So, here I am, awaiting with an optimistic smile, trying to save up my money for potential moving out when grad school inevitably comes around, as well as for paying student loans. I'm persevering and as my friend Nick always says, I'm "living the dream." 

It really bothers me that "excited" is spelled wrong.

*I'm not actually very patient with this type of thing.

3 comments:

  1. Have you looked into any SLPA positions? There weren't any near me when I took a year off, but I was a paraprofessional (basically a classroom aide) in a special ed classroom in my year off, which I think was a plus on applications. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katrina! I've tried to find some, but they don't have any in Ohio, or the DC area (which I'm tryinig to locate to, eventually). I'll look in to paraprofessional positions in special ed classrooms, per your suggestion. It seems to have helped you a lot!

      Delete
  2. Baylor is one of THOSE schools...but I still think you should go for it! Maybe you're grades and activities weren't "way above the curve," but YOU ARE! You're much smarter than you give yourself credit for!

    ReplyDelete