Friday, May 10, 2013

Hidden Fears

Hello all,

Here is my graduate school acceptance update:
Towson
Pitt
Cleveland State
University of DC
Eastern Michigan- Wait List
Toledo- No idea

Basically, my future in graduate school (this year) is riding on EMU. If I get in, I'm definitely going there. If I don't, I've got a choice on my hands.

There's a volunteer program called City Year, which involves working with at-risk children in public schools across various cities in America. I applied to City Year Cleveland last year before I learned that I got my job at UH. I'm trying to decide if graduate school doesn't work out for me this year either, whether or not I  should apply for City Year DC. The stipend they provide is about as much as I make here in a month, provided I would need to pay for rent etc. They also provide loan deferment and scholarship for higher education after one year of service, among other benefits.

I was writing an email to a friend, asking her opinion and basically explaining this situation when I realized that it sounds like an awesome opportunity. I realized that I'm just afraid of living on my own, under the poverty line. But in reality, so many people with whom I graduated already do it, or plan to do it. It's just life. I can't live in mommy's home forever. I'm too comfortable, and I'm actually starting to outgrow the comfort. I'm antsy to get out. Why not move to a new (awesome) city where my roommate and my boyfriend will be? Why not live on food stamps for a year? It's not glamorous, but hey, everyone's gotta do it at some point.

It's a 40 hour a week gig, with a stipend etc. I'm assuming this experience would add to my resume, and hopefully get me on track to becoming a speech-language pathologist, damn it!

This would be my first time ever taking a dive into something. I really think I'm starting to branch out.

Oh yeah, they get to wear these fashionable uniforms too.

No comments:

Post a Comment