Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Perseverance

So I'm in a class at Cleveland State. It's a class that I took at Wooster, and I didn't do the best in it so I thought I would take it again to try to get my grade up. We've got an exam coming up that is scheduled on a day when I have a conflict. In the adult world, conflicts are expected. I figured I would email my professor and ask if I could take the exam a day before the rest of the class because of it. His response email in its entirety: "That would not be possible."

My response in my mind: "WHAT THE HELL?! CAN HE DO THAT?!" I'm trying to do well in this class, and I'm going to fail this exam because my professor is paranoid that I'm going to tell the answers to every other person in the class (as if I know all of the answers). I tried to drop the class, but it was already three days past the drop period. None of the offices I tried to go to for help even acted like they had any idea how to petition for a late drop, so I decided I'd just give up.

I'm not doing the best in the class right now. The class curriculum difference between CSU and Wooster is incredibly different. CSU's is heavily physics based (for some reason beyond my knowledge), while the Wooster one was much more physical and more relatable to the field. I'm already not doing well in the class, and this test is going to throw me over the deep end.

I cried, I was at a lack of answers or hope, and I decided I was done. I asked my trusty advice giver what I should do, and he said I should continue to go to class. Even if I do fail the test (and probably the class), maybe I'll get some little glimmer of good out of it. I mean, I DID pay for it. And it will show my perseverance. I just want to get in to grad school, and if this DUMB little speed bump is going to hold me back, then I need to rethink my motives.

So that's it. I'm going to be the bigger person and continue to go to class. It's not like I have anything better to do, and I really do try to learn (even if I am terrible at physics).

1 comment:

  1. "In the adult world, conflicts are expected." I don't think that's true at all. In the adult world, you're expected to prioritize. You wouldn't let something "conflict" with work, because you've made work a priority. You've made a commitment to them to be there. The same goes for college. The teacher expects you to make his class a priority, and he's in the right, especially for exam time.

    Also, if you were having such trouble with the class, why not seek out a tutor?

    ReplyDelete