Friday, November 16, 2012

GRAD SCHOOL PROBLEMS

I'm trying to write my personal statements, and to really decide which schools I want to apply to. I AM HAVING SO MUCH TROUBLE. I just want to run around, yell, or just plop down facing upward on a bed and bawl my eyes out.

I'm looking at my list of schools (none of which I have visited for grad school (besides CSU, since I go there), and I'm just wondering why I'm applying there. My main reasons for choosing to apply to a school are these:
  • Will they maybe accept my below average GPA?
  • Do I like the area in which the school resides?
  • Is it near where Adam might go?
  • Is it near home so I can live there for free?
Some of these schools put one or more of these criteria against each other. I visited one of the schools for undergrad, and wasn't quite impressed with it, but it's close to home, so I might apply. One of the schools is not close to home, but Adam is applying near there, so I might apply. I know you're not supposed to really apply based on where your boyfriend is going, but I don't want to be very far. I don't want to live at home forever, but I really don't have the money to move out on my own yet, and I am comfortable with my two jobs.

I am so so so torn on which criteria to focus on. I don't want to spend so much money on applications for schools that I'm not confident about, or don't want to go to. I'm kind of having a personal crisis here, and it's not good for my self esteem.


3 comments:

  1. The statement of purpose in my opinon was definately the hardest part. Ask your friends and family to read it. And most importantly try to make it stand out, it's not easy but try and do something to set it apart. Once that is done honestly the rest is much easier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also there is an apartment in Akron that will need another roommate begining this summer, rent is very reasonal . . . just saying :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just some unsolicited advice: Don't factor Adam into the equation (this is just my personal experience talking).
    If you live with roommates it's much cheaper.
    The school itself doesn't matter so much as the grad school program. Have tons of people edit your personal statement.

    ReplyDelete