Friday, February 21, 2014

Blog Request Series #1: TV Shows to Watch

Holy crap. I just realized that I've been blogging without indenting any paragraphs. Is that a blogging faux pas, or is it acceptable in the internet world? Someone, let me know, this is a crisis!

Anyway, a couple of posts ago, I was having a whole other crisis: I was at a lack of things to write about, so I asked for requests. This is the first in a series of request posts, and I'm starting with "Which TV shows should I watch?"Over the past six months, I've been utilizing Netflix. I finally got my own account once I realized how hooked I was on these shows. I'm prone to comedies and some dramas, depending, so here's a list of my Netflix favorites:

Orange is the New Black: The hype is incredibly warranted. This show is groundbreaking, funny, heartbreaking, and it keeps you wanting more. It tells the story of Piper Chapman, an upper middle class white woman who gets sent to prison for a past of drug smuggling with her (then) girlfriend (Laura Prepon). The series not only follows Piper, but it tells the back stories of most of the inmates in the prison. I love a good back story, and believe me these stories delivered. I find myself rooting for these characters and getting incredibly invested in their lives. I found myself loving the characters I hated, rooting for those that I never thought I'd care much about, and lamenting the day that I watched the final episode. The cast is phenomenally diverse and so full of equally diverse personalities, and I can't wait for the next season (which I believe is to be released this April or June).


30 Rock: Last summer I read Tina Fey's autobiography Bossypants. Once I finished the book, she not only became my idol, but she got me instantly interested in seeing anything that came out of this brilliantly funny woman's mind. Enter 30 Rock. Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) is the head writer for The Girly Show (basically SNL) on NBC, when new boss Jack (Alec Baldwin) comes in and wants to revamp the entire show by adding a famous comedic actor/tabloid favorite, Tracy Jordan (Tracy Morgan). Initially, Liz hates Jack, but over the series they fall into a "mentor-mentee" relationship. The show chronicles Liz's hardships as a single thirty-something in NYC, juggling being a successful female writer, taking care of every mess that Jenna and Tracy might cause, and just wanting to sit at home and watch Dance Moms on her DVR while eating poptarts. 30 Rock also features many SNL alumni, as well as famous actors such as Paul Reubens, Matt Damon, and Oprah! The writing is HILARIOUS, and each of the characters has their own quirks that make them all favorites. Basically, Liz is every woman's spirit animal and I wish I could be like her in every way.  The celebrity guests never ceased to surprise me, and I'm seriously considering watching the series again because it's just that funny. Blerg!



House of Cards: Adam is a huge HOC fan, and he suggested that I watch it. I'm not normally a fan of dramas or shows that break the fourth wall, but I've had more than one person suggest it, so I decided to give it a try. I wasn't hooked on the first episode, but I decided to keep going and I was pulled right in. Maybe it's because Adam lives in DC now, but I feel really connected to the show since it takes place in a city that I've been frequenting. Frank is a South Carolina congressman, as well as the Democratic party whip (I've learned all kinds of government terms and positions thanks to this show). He's married to Claire, a beautiful, smart and successful businesswoman who wants nothing more than to support her husband in any way she can. Both are conniving, cunning, and striving to land Frank the ultimate job; leader of the free world. At first I was incredibly bothered by the amount of infidelity in this show, but I quickly learned that Frank, Claire, and many other characters will do whatever is necessary to get what they want. I'm constantly surprised at the way Frank handles situations and is able to predict how people will react. I also can't get over how much I like Claire; she's so eloquent, fashionable, and independent. Again, I found myself rooting for characters whom I never thought I would. I also found myself researching a lot more about the government than I ever thought I would. It's kind of hard for me to completely describe this series. It's just something you have to watch yourself because of all of the manipulation, murder, and whipping (take that how you will) that happens throughout. It constantly makes me wonder how much of it might actually happen in our real life government....



Freaks and Geeks:  I'm SO glad I decided to watch this show. Like many of the greats, it saw its end too early and lasted merely one season, only to grow a cult following years later. Freaks and Geeks chronicles Lindsey (mathlete turned "freak") and her brother Sam's (geek) experiences in high school with their friends, crushes, teachers, and parents. I've realized that I love anything that Judd Apatow writes, and this show does not disappoint. The situations are hilarious and real, the characters are loveable and laughable. This show may present the parts of high school that suck, but it also lays out the part of high school that was my favorite: the ability to cross clique lines, yet stay genuine. Not only does this series showcase awesome talent, but it's also the start of most of these people's careers. It's a star studded cast and hilarious writing, what more could you ask for? I can't sing enough praises for Freaks and Geeks. I just finished the last episode a few days ago, and I'm already itching to start watching it from the beginning again. Oh, and after you finish the series, google the reunion. It will give you all of the feels.





So there you have it, my favorite Netflix-able TV shows. This post taught me that I am no good whatsoever at writing reviews, so I'm going to try to practice. Let me know how you feel about these shows if you decide to watch them, and if you have any suggestions for what I should watch, get at me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment