Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thinking While Waiting

So, I thought I wanted to write a post about the things that I do to keep myself being "Katie," aka so happy, but I decided I would do a mini update for my friend Marshall. I'll do the other one another time, Marshall trumps all. Boo yah!
The Man Behind the Name
This is Marshall and me in our high school years, seeing a movie. We met in middle school, I think? We've been loving friends ever since.

This is more current Marshall, training to be a lawyer/actor at the University of Toledo. He's probably one of the smartest and most talented people I've ever met. He's also hilarious.






So, as it were, I have heard from 1 of 6 grad schools. Towson University in Maryland turned me down, but their rejection letter was really nice and encouraging. For now it's just been an incredibly impatient, frustrating, waiting game for me. I've been working hard with The University of DC to make sure my application is complete. The admissions lady checks her email like once a month, so I'm never quite sure if she's received all of my documents. It's so incredibly frustrating! But their official deadline is in May, so I've got a while to make sure it's all done. I just want to know if I get in! I don't want to wait that long!

Speaking of DC, I wrote a blog post last summer, or a summer before, a while ago, about wanting to move out. At that time, I was moody about rules and things, but we've all matured now. In a more recent blog post, I wrote about how I'm in a personal rut. These posts both lead to today's topic: Moving out of my house vs. Living at home for free.

My boyfriend and my college roommate will both be attending grad school in DC (GW (?) and Georgetown, respectively). If I get in to UDC, I'm about 90% positive that I would attend that institution and reunite with Arielle in our roommate-lationship. I feel ready to move out on my own (even if I'm not completely financially stable). DC is a very expensive city to live in, but I would be splitting rent and utilities and I wouldn't need my car. I'm willing to cut corners, and I would most definitely try to get a job. My dilemma is, if I get in to Cleveland State, should I just suck it up and go there so I can live at home for free for another 2.5 years and keep my job where I'm paid $12 an hour? That situation sounds ideal, but I'm really ready to just leave and do something relatively adventurous, at least for me.

Then there's the other side. What if, unfortunately for the second time, I don't get in anywhere? Do I stay in Cleveland and work for another semester, waiting to get accepted? Or do I move to DC with my roommate and boyfriend and try to build myself up in a new city? The latter is sounding much more appetizing as of late. It's a personal dilemma that's really just riding on me.

I've already got tons of student debt (some of which can be forgiven once I get a job), and I'm not afraid of  more loans (though I probably should be). But is moving out with not that much money worth it, when I'm totally able to live at home for free? Moving out is normal at my age. A lot of times people have less money than even I do, yet they move out anyway. I'm going to seek advice from some people I graduated with, and see how they're doing.

Marshall, you're out on your own. What's your advice??



VS


I've been doing way too much thinking lately. This could get dangerous.

*EDIT* As of 6:30pm today, I have been rejected from Pittsburgh as well. At least I'm getting my answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment