Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cereal for Dinner, Tacks for Snacks

That title is a subtle shout out to one of my past favorite, long lost bands, Panic! at the Disco.

I'm currently typing this while dodging the tail and backside of my cat who feels neglected because my father is out of town (seriously, she can't stay off of my desk while I'm using it). Now you may ask, "Katie, why is your father out of town?" and my answer would be "celebrating his big 5-0 with my mother, as well as their 23rd wedding anniversary." They're in random parts of Arizona, currently Sedona, while my sister and I chose to stay home to work, chill, and celebrate my own birthday (woo hoo, big 2-2!).

Living alone with no parents has been, interesting. It's been a really big look into the real world of adults. As you can figure from the title, I've been eating cereal for dinner, and leftover penne chicken alfredo that Adam and I made on my birthday. I did realize that living alone inspires me to do the dishes right after using them (hooray initiative!). I'm also realizing that having a cat is more work than just cuddling. She's gotta eat, poop, eat, poop, claw on your door at 5 am, jump on you at 5:05 am, and sneak out of the house at least 12 times when your friends are visiting. I've also kind of been keeping up with the list of things my parents left me to do, like feed the fish. Watering the plants is also on there, but it rained yesterday, so, done! I tend to just ignore the list. Well, not ignore it, but treat it as a guideline. Plus side of being home alone, I get to drive my mom's new car around *thumbs up*

Being alone at home, with my sister here sometimes, is incredibly unnerving. While I realize that the actual chance of a strange man breaking into my house in the middle of the night, and stabbing me/raping me/staring at me while I sleep, and taking the $30 that currently resides in my purse is very slim, the chance seems more slim when my dad is sleeping upstairs. Just last night, Alyse and I were in our respective rooms after hanging out for a while, when a loud banging noise came from the basement. We both jumped and exclaimed "what was that?!" It sounded like the washer/dryer, so I figured that Lillian had jumped on it or something, but I still hesitated walking down the stairs, and thought about grabbing a giant knife for about 10 seconds. My heart was racing, and I think I overreacted a little bit.
Who knows, there could be a bed intruder climbin' in my window!


I have two more days of alone-ness, mostly taken up by class and work, so we'll see how it goes. Soon my mommy and daddy will be back with presents from the far west!

Picture posts to come soon!

I'm having a huge craving for blues/acoustic/R&B music. I'm gonna go clean my room to that now. Clean rooms are adult....ly....!

"When I grow up and get married, I'm livin' alone!!" ~Home Alone


2 comments:

  1. Pictures? Like what kind of pictures? Have you been modeling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures by this one girl, Short Girl. She's pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete